Friday 29 May 2009

European Leadership Forum 9

A twelve hour journey back from Eger to Bangor gives much time to reflect and to try to consider how to sum up the Forum.

The one thing which makes such a conference stand out is the variety of those who attend. Over 42 nations were represented, and a variety of occupations (that is not all pastors, professional theologians or even church workers.) The quality of the teaching was excellent, and the opportunity to question, challenge and engage was plentiful. But it was the participants that make this event unique.

The fact that we were not all from the same theological stable was interesting. We were all agreed on the gospel (The Bible was held up as the infallible Word of God; the atoning work of Christ was rejoiced in; the truth that we are saved by grace alone, through faith alone was upheld throughout etc.). However differences were there, but they did not seem to cause the conflict which often comes in such situations. We were all prayerfully concerned about the effective spread of the Gospel throughout Europe, and were there to further that aim. And for my part, although I am sure that I would disagree deeply with John Lennox about some issues, I learnt much from him as he expounded the Word of God, and rejoiced in the fellowship and personal discussion we had.

Whilst the steering committee is essentially European, much of the arranging and administrating, including the running of the whole event in Hungary, is done by friends from the USA. Their commitment, hard work and generosity are major factors also in the atmosphere of the whole event. When we arrived this year each participant was given an ESV study Bible as a gift. This was paid for by the adult Sunday school class of Wayne Grudem (who was the general editor of the study Bible, and a frequent contributor to the ELF). This gift was especially valuable to many of those who come from Eastern Europe. This was the spirit of the whole Forum, and on the final evening a long standing ovation was given to all those volunteers who had given of their time and out of their own pocket had paid to come to help us. Any who would doubt the American way of patronisingly try to sort out the rest of the world can see here a very different spirit.

The challenge for me (as is often the case when we have been away) is to bring back home some things which can be applied to our own situation. Certainly I have been refreshed, and my vision for the lost has been sharpened. I have a deeper understanding of certain portions of the Scriptures, and have greater knowledge to use in the proclamation of the Gospel. I also have new brothers and sisters in Christ for whom I can thank God, and for whom I must pray. I received numerous invitations to other countries to help them as they seek to serve God.

There are some things which I would want to see change. Firstly it seemed very difficult to find a cup of coffee after 11.00 a.m. – a major complaint!! Maybe a little more seriously, a pastoral track might be useful. Whilst some pastors were used, most of the speakers seemed to be those who were not so directly involved in the full time ministry of the church, and at times the apologetic emphasis overshadowed all else. I am aware that much personal mentoring was done there, but there could be a place for something else.

One serious issue for me was that I was the only Welsh speaker there, and on one night when we sat according to our nations for food, I had only one companion from Wales – Lindsay Brown. I would dearly wish to have others from my country there, so that we could continue the work here between Forums. Maybe next year I can persuade someone to come with me.

In the meantime, I pray that God will make me faithful in putting into practice the things I have learnt and been convicted of. I am grateful to have been there this year, and look forward to other blessings God may have in store for Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment